Search This Blog

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Grape explosion!

O.k so I thought why not enter my creative cupcake into a challenge.  Hoosier Homemade is having a contest for their Cupcake Tuesdays in August.  The theme is summertime fun.  When I thought about that, I remembered this grape cupcake I came up with, and the why factor fit perfectly, at least to me.  I wanted to make a grape cupcake.  I have never heard of someone offering grape as a flavor for cake.  And so the way I am, I can't just comply with whats given.  Even a simple recipe, I feel can always be "tweeked".  But, here is why I think mine relates to the theme of summertime flavors!  When I was a kid, we would go to my great great Aunts house and pick grapes-concord, and bring them in for her to make her jams and jellies.  Of course you have to test the grapes to see if they taste good.  I fell in love with the flavor!  From then on, in the summer when we could get snowcones, it would be grape.  If we got Slushies, it would be grape.  Going to the store and picking out a pack of gum, guess what flavor-yep, grape!  And to drink when we had our summertime fun, it wasn't soda!  It was grape kool-aid!  So now when I bite into my grape cupcake, it's like pulling the grape off the vine and plopping into my mouth.   MMMmmm, summer is here, the grapes are ready.  So if you want to experience my grape cupcakes the recipe is below. 

1 box Duncan Hines White cake
1-sugar free grape kool-aid mix(for 2 quarts)
1 1/3 c Welch's grape juice
2 TBS vegetable oil
3 egg whites

*your favorite cream cheese frosting, or in a pinch pre-made frosting

Preheat oven to 350. Wisk cake dry cake mix and kool-aid poweder in a large bowl.  Add grape juice, egg whites, and oil.  Beat with an electric mixer on med-high speed for 2 minutes. Fill cupcake liners half full of batter, and bake for 22-24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  let cool on wire rack.  Frost with cream cheese frosting. **For more of a punch use normal buttercream frosting.  The cream cheese frosting takes some of the "explosion" away, but it still has an awsome grape flavor.

http://hoosierhomemade.com/category/cupcake-tuesday/

No comments:

Post a Comment