Search This Blog

Sunday, January 6, 2013

4,3,2,1 Salad

I call this quick, easy, and healthy salad 4, 3, 2, 1 because of the ingredients.  I made a healthy stir fry for dinner, but I was also wanting something kind of cold.  So I thought about doing an Asia inspired slaw.  Well, this slaw, or salad, could be a meal in it's self if you add any kind of grilled meats, or shredded rotisserie chicken, or even nuts.  In fact, tomorrows lunch will be 2 cups of this salad with 1/4 cup of stir fried chicken.  Yum!  The dressing is very light.  Light in flavor and most important calories!  You can always add a little more olive oil, even whisk in some Dijon mustard to make it more of a creamy dressing.  If you do either of those I would increase the garlic and ginger by 1/4 to 1/2 tsp each, depending on how much you add.  
Like I've said before, I am really trying to write down my recipes so I can make the yummy things again, and also to know what I can do to improve next time.  I only let this sit in the refrigerator, dressed, for about 1 1/2 hours.  I think the flavor may improve if it sits longer.  That I will find out tomorrow when I have the left overs.
 
Here's the recipe!
 
4 c. shredded cabbage
3 c. shredded kale (curly)
2 c. shredded red cabbage
1 large carrot shredded
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1-11oz can mandarin oranges, drained reserving juice
2 Tbs raspberry balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
 
 
In a small bowl whisk the mandarin juice, garlic, ginger, balsamic vinegar and olive oil until combined.  In a large bowl combine the 4, 3, 2, 1 ingredients with the cranberries and mandarin oranges. Pour the dressing over them.  Toss to combine.  Refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.   It is very light in flavor, but this combo of veggies, mandarins, and cranberries go well together.  You can use any balsamic vinegar that you have.  I just happen to like the raspberry one for my salads.  I hope you enjoy!  Don't hesitate to let me know if you make any changes!  If you want to go super simple, instead of making your own dressing, you can sub in a cup of Asian Vinaigrette, bottled dressing.
Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment