Search This Blog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Reduced Fat Chicken Pot Pie



                                                                            

                                             





O.k. so I feel I've been slacking a little this week.  I made this recipe days ago, and promised my FB peeps I'd share.  Well I am finally getting around to it.  I've worked, worked out, been to the doc's, hmm what else can I use as an excuse.  Oh well, I must say it is a devine recipe.  I've had these little ramekins for almost a year now, still in the box!  I bought them so I could make individual desserts and such, but I kept not having any time to do that.  Sound familiar dosen't it!  I had 8 ramekins, so everyone was allowed 2 pot pies each.  They had their choice to eat them both for dinner, OR eat one with some other veggies as dinner and saveor the other one for lunch or dinner.  My oldest daughter, the pescitarian, and I saved our second dish for the next day.  My husband and youngest daughter could not.  Destiny said, it's so good, I just want to lick the bowl.   And she did.  The recipe I made is for those of us who ate chicken, and for Miss Hailey who had a seperate pot simmering made with tofu.  I used vegetable broth on hers, whereas with ours I used organic free range chicken stock, from Aldi.  Now if we could ever get a Trader Joe in our neighbor hood, I would be there everyday shopping!  The veggies, I split up, giving her some and then some for us.  So in essence you can add all the veggies in here to make one pot, you may just need a tad more broth, and 2 more biscuits and you would have 8 CHICKEN pot pies.

Chicken Pot Pie, Reduced Fat

          6 pilsbury reduced fat grands biscuits
1 TBS Knorr Chicken Bouillon
32 oz Chicken Broth  Fat Free
           3 med- large Russet Potato, cubed
                   2 large  Carrots,(7-1/4" to 8-1/2" long), chopped
                   2 large stalks celery(11"-12" long), chopped
                    1/4 cup Corn Starch,
                    1 cup cubed Butternut Squash
          2 bay leaves
                 1 tsp dried Basil
                    1 tsp dried Thyme
                      1 tsp Pepper, black
        1 tsp Salt,
                   Olive Oil, 1 tbsp
                       4 small Chicken Thigh, bone and skin removed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place ramekins on baking sheet. Take 3 biscuits and gently pull in half, seperating layers. With fingers gently pull the biscuit out twords the edges. You are trying to make the biscuit thinner, but enlarge the circle. Place each biscuit half in the bottom of the ramekins. Poke a few times with a fork. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. This ensures no soggy bottom. Heat 1tbs of olive oil in a large stock pot, or dutch oven. Add chopped chicken thighs, and cook until outside is done, but inside slightly pink.I tried to chop eveything into the same bite sized pieces. When the chicken is half cooked, add the veggies, and bay leaves. And pepper.Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the stock, salt, thyme, basil and bouillion. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until potatos are almost tender. You don't want them too soft, or they will be mushy. Bring back to a boil, mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup of cold water until smooth. Slowly add to the chicken and veggies, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Turn off. With the ramekins out of the oven, ladel chicken miture in on top of baked biscuit bottom. Ladel to the top. When all ramekins are full, take the other 3 biscuits and seperate in half, pulling as you did before. Poke with a fork a few times, and place over the ramekins, pressing slightly on the edges to hold shape. Bake 10 minutes, until the biscuits are golden on top. REMOVE, AND LET STAND 3-5 minutes before serving.
 
And enjoy reduced fat, comfort food heavan.  Based on the 6 biscuits, but using all the veggies tallied in the recipe, it comes out to:
Nutrition Facts
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
Calories435.0
Total Fat9.5 g
Saturated Fat2.8 g
Polyunsaturated Fat2.3 g
Monounsaturated Fat3.2 g
Cholesterol41.5 mg
Sodium1,965.6 mg
Potassium1,149.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate71.1 g
Dietary Fiber6.3 g
Sugars6.7 g
Protein17.2 g
Vitamin A107.3 %
Vitamin B-125.4 %
Vitamin B-640.3 %
Vitamin C74.5 %
Vitamin D0.0 %
Vitamin E3.3 %
Calcium6.8 %
Copper14.7 %
Folate13.2 %
Iron21.9 %
Magnesium17.7 %
Manganese23.3 %
Niacin29.7 %
Pantothenic Acid 14.4 %
Phosphorus 21.6 %
Riboflavin11.4 %
Selenium12.8 %
Thiamin16.1 %
Zinc10.7 %









No comments:

Post a Comment